Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer Salad

My favorite summer salad includes 3 simple ingredients:

Spinach
Strawberries
Creamy poppyseed dressing



Now, there are many variations of this salad. I've added walnuts, almonds, pecans, goat cheese, tortellini with tomatoes, etc. But, I keep coming back to this amazing combination. It's so light, fresh and delicious. It's the perfect side salad to a soup/salad or sandwich/salad combo. Today I had this along side a half ham and cheddar sandwich with dijon and lettus...grilled on the foreman. I inhaled it too quickly to snap a photo;)

Yesterday was a gorgeous day in Seattle, so I took my lunch down to the lake to eat and relax for a few. I was the only person there for about 15 minutes and it was so nice to enjoy my surroundings in peace. I took some photos on my phone of the cute little park.





I brought some left-over roasted veggies, a whole wheat wrap and the last of a container of garlic hummus. I couldn't fit all the veggies in my wrap, so I ate the rest of them in the waning hummus container...kind of like oats in a jar!! It was delicious, but I was a bottomless pit yesterday and nothing seemed to fill me up. I've noticed that the day after a hard work-out leaves me with endless amounts of hunger. I'm not sure what combinations to eat to tame the hungry monster...any suggestions?


Do you ever feel super hungry the day following a tough workout? Do you keep feeding the monster or try and appetite suppressants like coffee or tea? I feel like my body needs it, but at the same time, I don't want to over-eat.

15 comments:

  1. I love the veggies in a hummus jar - So awesome! And that park kind of reminds me of when I was in Spain. I love the the mosaic-ness of it! And yes thank god, I am never hungry after a workout, but the following day I want to eat EVERYTHING. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel hungry the day after a hard workout - like my body is fueling for rebuilding the muscles. For me, a combination of healthy fats and protein - lots o' protein - is what seems to tame the beast. Don't know if that'll do it for you, but right now I'm aiming to eat 1-1.5 grams of protein for every 2 pounds of my body weight. I usually bring it in around 120 grams/protein per day, and those days that I don't, I can feel the difference in my hunger level - especially at night (can you say, munchies?!?)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. If you don't have plans tomorrow, a couple other bloggers and some friends are doing the Blue Angels at the lake! E-mail me if you want to pop over and hang out with us, I'll give you my cell and the deets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea...I am thinking I need to add a bit more protein to my eats, thanks!

    SRG - We were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday this weekend. Sorry I missed out...hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blog! Love your background. I found you through HEAB - was intrigued by the name...I'm currently nearing my 30's and, well, not happy in my life, and trying...Seattle? Would love to visit there someday!

    And, YES - eat if your hungry - don't question it! It WILL catch up to you , that I can promise....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always feel the effects of a big workout the next day (hunger, soreness, etc.)!

    That salad looks super yummmmmmy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combination of strawberries with poppy seed dressing - one of my favs. I'm a big believer in green tea for filling you up and all the anti-oxident benefits as well, but sometimes you just need to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That salad looks amazing gina, I've always walked passed the poppyseed dressing and never picked it up, I think you have motivated me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, poppyseed dressing. I've never had that. I love doing a raspberry dressing over a strawberry/spinach/goat cheese salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love strawberries in salad though I've never tried poppyseed dressing.

    I'll have to give it a go!

    Jenny @ http://fitnesshealthandfood.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy salad!

    http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I most definitely feed the hunger beast if it calls. Otherwise I will eat chocolate until I burst.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The salad looks so pretty! I've never had strawberries in a salad before but I might have to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are making me hungry! I have never seen that park in Seattle. What fun!

    ReplyDelete