Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Breadbaking Class

I was inspired by Megan at The Runners Kitchen to try out a cooking class. I've been wanting to learn to bake bread, so when I found a class at Cook's World which featured the founder of the Essential Baking Company (my favorite bakery!) I signed up right away! The teacher was really great at explaining the science behind bread; we learned a ton of technique and went home with some raw dough to bake the following morning. Here is my bread in the oven this morning: TA DAAAA! My first loaf of homemade bread!


I cut it open and it was perfect! I used a couple slices to make a sandwich for lunch and it was so chewy and really great flavor. I had another chunk with my dinner tonight and topped it with some creamy camembert and black cherry preserves...divine!

Dinner was full of yuminess...I baked some wild alaskan king salmon and served with a dried cherry and sunflower seed kale salad dressed in EVOO and the slice of bread I described above. I mixed a little maple syrup with a dash of dark soy sauce and EVOO and spread over the salmon, baked at 500 for 12 minutes...it was perfect!
Mmmmm, that bread with cheese/cherry combo was so tasty!

I'm kind of lame and didn't do anything for St. Patty's Day. I used to look forward to green beer once a year, but I haven't felt much like going out drinking lately (unless its wine!) Instead, I took a 90 minute hot vinyasa flow and made the delicious dinner above:)

Did any of you do anything fun for St. Patty's Day???

1 comment:

  1. Your bread looks amazing! It's so great when homemade bread turns out wonderfully. I would love to take a whole grain baking class. I'll have to check out that site and see if I can find anything in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete